From board member L. Joy Mitchell:
Monday night was the Community Board 3 Board meeting and there was a lot of information shared. Below are some bullet points and community events. I invite all of my neighbors to come to the board meeting the first Monday of each month at Restoration plaza on Fulton street beginning at 7pm and never ending on time (just kidding.)
- Go online and visit www.nystax.org and see if you qualify for the new tax rebate for middle class homeowners. This is separate from the city tax rebate so as my fellow board member Pastor Waterman said last night, GO GET YOUR CHECK!
- VERY IMPORTANT: The board is working on the 2009 budget priorities for the district. We need your input. Attached is a form where you can contribute your voice to the city budget process. Fill out your budget priorities for our neighborhood and fax it to the board office at 718-857-5774. We have to submit a final proposal by October 31st so just don’t complain about the tree in front of your house or the lack of youth community space, do your part and help us include it in our budget priorities. [From Alexa11221: Please note, we don't have the form yet but I will add it].
- DID YOU KNOW there was Little League Baseball in Bed-Stuy. There are about 25 teams ranging in age from 4-13 years old (so cute). No child is turned away and all of them play in every game. The league has limited space in Bed-Stuy mostly playing at the field at Von King Park which needs to be renovated. The board plans to include the renovation needs in our budget priorities but you can help too. Their budget for each season is $35,000 which they never make. Give a donation or volunteer your time to help OUR kids. Call the board office at 718-622-6601 for more information.
- BED-STUY Alive is Saturday, October 13th – Saturday October 20th. With so many places to eat, shop, and visit in Bed-Stuy who goes to Manhattan on the weekends? Certainly not me. Now if I can just get a 24 hour breakfast place near my house, I might not ever leave our community at all.
- Does your child have a pellet gun? There is a new plastic gun that looks exactly like a 9mm gun. The cops can’t tell the difference from the pellet gun or a real gun so throw that trash away before one of our kids gets shot.
- BOYS AND GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL is holding its Annual College and Community Night. Reps from colleges and youth programs should attend and display the opportunities for the young people in our community. For more information contact Ms. Toussaint at 718-467-1700 ext. 356 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ok, that’s enough for the day. Let me get back to the job. See ya on the streets of Bed-Stuy and hopefully at a community board meeting.